The Stonehaven Fireballs Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Open Air in the Square

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stonehaven Fireballs Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Open Air in the Square Reply with quote

I noticed in the Mearns Leader this week that they think this will be the last year of the Open Air in the Square which is surely a great shame as it entertains many after the fireballs. i believe the commity are disbanding and no one else wants to take on the job.

Do you know who the best person would be to speak to about getting more information on what is involved etc. I may be interested in helping out.
firechucker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the article you saw?

Try contacting the Stonehaven Hogmanay Festival Committee secretary on 01569 760358.
firechucker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following letter in the Mearns Leader might be of interest...

Quote:

SIR,-
There was a considerable amount of publicity recently about the future of the Open Air In The Square Hogmanay event. As a result, quite a number of people have contacted me.

We discussed the situation at the recent meeting of the Stonehaven & District Community Council. The outcome is that there will be a public meeting at the Invercarron Resource Centre, Low Wood Road, on Tuesday January 29 at 7.30 pm. Anybody interested in continuing the event should come along.

There are two types of job to be done. First, there needs to be an organising committee, who, starting in the late summer, make all the contacts and agree the details of performers etc prior to the night.
Secondly, many hands are required for some time (however small) on Hogmanay itself. All help will be most welcome.

The retiring organisers have agreed to come along to the meeting and pass on their accumulated knowledge and experience. I hope as many people as possible will feel able to come. If, for any reason, you cannot make that meeting, please let me know, and I will pass on your name to the new committee.

Yours etc,
David Fleming,
Chairman, Stonehaven & District Community Council.
Linda

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Open Air in The Square Reply with quote

A great shame for not only Stonehaven but surrounding areas that this event is to stop. The event was started by the Community Council to mark the Millenium - it's sucess was that it continued up until last year and was enjoyed by all ages. Sad to say that members of our community whilst quiet happy to go to the event are not willing to give up some of their time to assist with the organisation and stewarding on the night. I helped out for the first three years of the event and it was great fun but as always it's left to the same few people and they can't do everything all of the time !
firechucker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: "Open Air in the Square" still going strong Reply with quote

Rumours of the demise of Open Air in the Square turned out to be exagerated, as this article in the Mearns Leader shows.

They now have a new web site at http://www.openairinthesquare.co.uk/.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stonehaven Fireballs Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: